Monday, November 5, 2012

Ofelia

Up and coming young actress Ophelia Lovibond
Today's name is inspired by a recent trip to Ikea. You know how everything has a name, and most of those names seem a little strange and crazy if English is the only (or main) language you speak. Well, on this trip I bought a blanket with the name Ofelia, which seemed to suit the light and fluffy white blanket perfectly.

Ofelia (pronounced oh-FEEL-ya) is the Spanish/Italian version of Ophelia, and is mainly used in Spanish speaking countries such as Argentina, Chile, or Mexico. It is also a Portugese name, with the slightly different pronunciation of oh-FEH-lyah (thanks Zeffy!). It means 'who assists or who helps', as the original name derives from the Greek word ofeleia, which has this meaning. Ofelia is also a Saint name, used in memory of Danish Roman Catholic Martyr Saint Ofelia. St Ofelia's name day is recognised in Italy as February the 3rd.

Most people recognise the name Ophelia as the character from Shakespeare's 'Hamlet', written in 1600, although it's first use was reportedly in the poem 'Arcadia', written in the 15th century by Jacopo Sannazaro. Shakespeare's Ophelia was quite a tragic figure. A young noblewoman from Denmark, Ophelia is presented as a potential wife for Hamlet. However she is treated very poorly by Hamlet, and eventually goes insane and drowns herself.

A lot of people have been put off using Ophelia/Ofelia for their daughters due to the tragic demise of Shakespeare's character, and fears of their children being taunted with lewd "I feel 'ya" comments. However these perceptions are wearing off, and examples of people who bear this name include:
  • Dr Ofelia Zepeda, American poet and intellectual
  • Spanish actress Ofelia Guilmain
  • Mexican actress Ofelia Medina
  • British actress Ophelia Lovibond
  • First mixed race model in America, Ophelia DeVore
  • Cousin Ophelia in 'The Addams Family'
  • O (short for Ophelia), main character in 2012 movie 'Savages', played by Blake Lively
  • Ofelia, main character in Guillermo Del Toro's dark 2006 movie 'Pan's Labyrinth'

I quite like Ofelia/Ophelia. It has a classic, stately feel to it, and cool nickname options Fee, Lia or O add a bit of spunk to it. As you've probably guessed, the Ophelia spelling is currently more popular in America. It's been on the rise in the past couple of years after dropping out of the top 1000 in 1959, and in 2011 was ranked #1864, given to 107 girls. Ofelia on the other hand has actually been a more consistent performer on the charts, lower than Ophelia but with fewer dramatic rises and falls in popularity. It ranked #3368 in America in 2011, given to 48 girls.

I like both variations, and personally feel that Ophelia looks more aristocratic, while Ofelia feels a little more approachable and friendly. So I'd probably lean more towards Ofelia. But maybe that's just me. What do you think?

Happily snuggled up in the Ofelia blanket
Photo courtesy of Lauren Rutherford Photography

18 comments:

  1. Ofelia is lovely. I've always liked how elegant she sounds, but I like the more familiar Ophelia. On a quick side note, Portugal doesn't speak Spanish. Ofélia is the Portuguese form of Ophelia and it is pronounced more like Oh-FEH-lyah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zeffy, it's sometimes hard to pick up different nuances in pronunciation etc without hearing it!

    I've updated the post to include this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ofelia is gorgeous, and yes in a way it sort of strips off the bad image that Ophelia has (from Hamlet). I wouldn't use it personally but it is a pretty name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an Ofelia. All of my life my nick name has been Ofe, when people find out what my name is I have always gotten a positive response. They love the sound and the regal ness about it.
    I had a hard time with it at first early in school because how different it was and that first day at school was always the hardest, but it made me stand out and after awhile I used it to my advantage.

    Now I can tell you that I am very proud and LOVE my name !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that not only do you have this name, but that you love it! It is quite a regal sounding name :)

      Delete
    2. My name is Ofelia, my mother name was Ofelia too, my friends and family call me Ofe,I love my name, ....by the way Saint Ofelia festivities is April 2nd. hum... I wonder if someone give a present...... will be nice

      Delete
    3. Where did you find out about April 2nd. I used to see it on calendars on April second, but I could not find anything that confirmed it is still on April Second.

      Delete
  5. I love my name regardless. Of what people think. I read in a passage that. Ofelia is a heart. Seeker. And yes I like to help. People and yes my name come from Greek. Remember the Greek.I THANK. GOD FOR MY NAME AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today, July 26th, 2014, my youngest daughter, Nicole Arianne, gave birth to my newest grandchild. A baby girl, weighing in at 7 lbs. 14 ozs., she is named Ophelia Star. When I first heard Nicole liked the Ophelia I thought of Hamlet and also how regal the name sounded and the fact that Nicole was a drama major in college. She didn't pursue the theater life though and went from NYC, the family home to living in Charleston, SC where Ophelia is more common but still not too often heard. The middle name of Star was the Father's idea since a few night's before she was born he took a break at work and went outdoors to get some fresh air. Looking up at the night sky he immediately saw a shooting star and thought it would make a nice sounding name with Ophelia. I love it. He will have this sweet story to tell my little granddaughter when she asks why they chose her names. We are thrilled to have our Ophelia and I want to thank you so much for the information you made available on this site. I am pleased to know it is a saint's name too since we are Roman Catholic and I knew Star wouldn't be one. Wonderful site here and again thank you so much. Just call me Grandma Stork. Yes, Stork is my married name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful story - thanks for sharing, and congratulations on the new addition to your family!

      Delete
  7. I am very proud and happy that my name is Ofelia that really describes my personality of always offering help. Wow knowing that it was the name of an Italian saint...

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Spanish the name Ofelia is pronounced oh-FEH-lee-ah. The "I" is it's own syllable. It does not make a blended sound with the "A".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone! I'm pregnant with a little girl. My husband and I love the name Ophelia/Ofelia. In French, it's Ophelie, which is also nice, but I prefer it in Spanish or English! My one reservation is the weight it carries with the Hamlet/Shakespeare reference. Ophelias/Ofelias out there - did you ever have any trouble with this name because of the number 1 reference to the name? You'll note that my name is Juliet, also a tragic Shakespearean character, but I feel the name bears less weight since the character didn't go insane. That said, we still love the name and now with the new popular song "Ophelia" by the Lumineers - great song! - the Shakespearean tarnish on the name may be dissipating. Sorry for this long message, but I really want to know what everyone thinks! Love the comments so far! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also was introduced to the name in reading Hamlet, and while Ophelia is associated with insanity, I personally like to associate the name with the flowers of her last monologue. I am a huge literature fan, so I do love the idea of choosing a name from my favorite play. The Lumineers' latest album also holds a special place in my heart, only adding to my love for the name. Can't you just picture yourself singing this song to her? Outside of these reasons, I agree that it sounds very regal and unique, although quite classic.

      My name is Katharine, after actress Katharine Hepburn - or "Kate the Great." I go by Kate. I appreciate how classic my name is and would like my daughter's name to be of similar kind, also associated with art/literature.

      Delete
  10. Juliet my name is Ofelia, and yes I do get a lot of Shakespeare references even though I spell my name with an f (the spanish version), but I never had any trouble with them. People generally comment how awesome and unique my name is. When I was younger I wished my parents had named me something easier to pronounce, but I started loving my name and am so thankful for the Strong Name they gave me. I feel that anyone that carries that name will grow into their name. It is regal :) Also, The Band has a song also titled Ophelia :) Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi juliet, I am also considering Ofelia as a second name for my future baby girl (Clara Ofelia). I was also concerned about the drama and potential negative associations (I put off Esmeralda bx of that). I came across a post that said something like this: all shakespeare's heroines have gone insane somewhow. Juliet commit suicide: kind of a teenager going out of control out of love. So, yes, all names can ave a negative influence however, the people is who make the name stand out. BTW: My godmother was called ofelia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my name Ofelia! Ya at first it kinda bothered me because people would say it wrong but eventually I got used to it haha. In middle and high school my friends would say Ofelia I feel ya... Then to top it off with my last name they would say "Her hand is" because my last name is Hernandez.. So they would "I feel ya her hand is"
    But... As I got older I got and I still get great comments about what a beautiful name I have. So ya ya I love my name!!

    ReplyDelete